Monday, February 14, 2011

(I know I don't give a description of all my pictures because I did a bad job cataloguing it, hence I can't name half the places - argh!!)




Cappadocia is the land of fairy chimneys and in my mind, this is exactly where I imagined all the fairies once lived. Moments upon stepping into the great terrains of Goreme, I lost sight of modern day civilization and was brought to a world full of magic and wonders. Everywhere I turned it was as if I just walked into story book.




Imagination Valley (looks like a camel):

Underground city (you have to see to believe):

Monks used to live in these carved out houses:

Someone's home:

Brief History from Wikipedia:
The Cappadocia region is largely underlain by sedimentary rocks formed in lakes and streams, and ignimbrite deposits erupted from ancient volcanoes approximately 9 to 3 million years ago, during the late Miocene to Pliocene epochs. The rocks of Cappadocia near Göreme eroded into hundreds of spectacular pillars and minaret-like forms. The volcanic deposits are soft rocks that the people of the villages at the heart of the Cappadocia Region carved out to form houses, churches and monasteries. Göreme became a monastic center between 300—1200 AD.


I marvelled at every sight we came to visit, from the cool experience of staying in a cave hotel, to learning the artisanship of making beautiful carpets and kilims, to soaring above the sky in a hot air balloon - Mother Nature once at it's worse has created a beautiful land for all to admire n present day.

Pottery Design (I nearly blinded her with my flash - my apologies):

Kilims artistry:

Hot Air Balloon Preparation:

View from across:

Losing my breath in the moment:

View from above (gulp - I sometimes suffer from vertigo):

Cappadocia is so captivating & definitely a place where it's a photographer dream. You should definitely take in a moment to soak up the land and history. If there are days when you don't know if there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I say there is.... =)


I had such an amazing time here looking at all these surreal landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment